Thursday, November 10, 2011

Some thoughts

*I knew about this Penn State scandal a year ago and told different Pittsburgh media about it.  Not surprisingly no one reported it or would even acknowledge it.  I didn't report it because I'm not an investigative reporter and I don't have a newspaper to help me to not get sued.  But the fact that this was all ignored by most of the media shows you all you need to know about the Cult of Paterno, both inside and outside of the state.

How often has the media talked about "classy Penn State" and "the clean program" that Joe Paterno runs, all the while ignoring Paterno's problems?  I'm not suggesting that anybody knew something this despicable was going on at Penn State,  and I'm not suggesting that Paterno has not done a lot of good.  His former players love him and his graduation rates have always been high.

But three years ago, ESPN's "Outside the Lines" ran a story about the criminal activity amongst Penn State players.  In that report, it was said that Penn State had 46 players arrested from 2002 until the report was telecast in 2008, and that 163 charges were filed.  163 in six years!!   Can you imagine if any other coach in the country had that kind of record with criminal activity?  Coaches like Nick Saban and John Calipari are considered sleazeballs by many fans and much of the media, yet their teams haven't even come close to that kind of sordid history.  Yet Paterno, AD Tim Curley, and Penn State president Graham Spanier kept their jobs with little problem.

Bottom line, this is what happens when football becomes bigger than life on a college campus.  It causes stupidity, cover ups, and anything it takes to keep the status quo.  Let this be a lesson to every university from now on.  Never, ever let your coach, and your sports, be bigger than the university it represents.  Unfortunately, many of the students aren't getting that yet, as evidenced by their protests and rioting.

*I don't want to get sued so I'm not saying that Tom Bradley knew about all of this, but if I knew about it over a year ago then so did Steve Pederson.  Now you know why he wanted nothing to do with Bradley.  Whether Bradley knew or not, he is guilty by association now, and can you imagine if Pitt hired Mike Haywood, only to follow it up with a guy who was in the midst of the biggest college sports  scandal ever?  It wouldn't be pretty.

*Penn State football will not be the same.  At least in our lifetimes.  The talk of a big name coach being hired is a joke.  No excellent candidate will want to be involved in a horrid situation that's going to be horrid for a very long time.  The rioters and protesters are making the university look even worse, and they are the cherry on the cake.  I can't see any way possible that they will be able to recruit at an elite level for many, many years.

*I'm currently on the road, and right now I'm in North Carolina.  An older African American gentleman stopped me when he saw my license plate was from PA.  He said, "You're not a Penn State guy are you?"  I told him no, that I was a Pitt guy.  He said that was good and then went off on Paterno, Penn State, and everybody involved.  He said "Can you imagine if that was Dave Wannstedt?  They would have killed him".  So as you can see, this is not just a PA thing.  All over the country now, fairly or not, Penn State equals corruption and perversion.  And before any Pitt fans gloat to see the annihilation of your most hated rival, just remember how it came about.  If you are still gloating after thinking about the circumstances that brought us here then you are also guilty of thinking football is bigger than life.

*In what is old news now, the Panthers landed quarterback Chandler Kincade of Blackhawk.  The first thing I noticed were how in the articles announcing his commitment, the writer would comment on how Kincade still committed despite the fact that Chad Voytik was already signed.  Do these people think Pitt can only get one good quarterback at a time?  They are two classes apart and the arrival of Voytik will not stop any other good quarterbacks from coming.

Personally, I'm not seeing much in Kincade yet.  He looks tall and gangly, I don't see a strong arm or a lot of athleticism.  Plus, he doesn't seem to fit the system at all.  But, I'm not a scout and the Pitt staff gets paid to evaluate players, so until they are wrong, I'm going to assume they are right.

*Speaking of Voytik, I've read about how he is bonding with others in his class and how he is recruiting a lot of future prospects as well.  The more I read about him, the more he has "leader" written all over him.

*I'm sure that some Pitt fans were upset that Geno Thorpe went to Penn State instead of Pitt, but as you may have noticed, I have never written about him.  The reason for that is simply because he was a fall back option, and I always thought Pitt would do better.  They did.

*Which brings me to James Robinson, as well as Steven Adams.  As far as talent, it's the best class Pitt has ever had, in my opinion, even though it's just two players.  Obviously Adams is projected to be a top five pick in the NBA after one year so that one's obvious.  But I think Robinson is the one that Pitt fans will be talking about long after he graduates.  He's not going to put up huge numbers, get 2,000 points, and all of that, but he's exactly the kind of player that gets you to the Final Four.  If he manages that, he will be forever remembered.

25 comments:

  1. Wow, Chris. I can't believe you held that story about Penn State inside. And it's better that you don't tell us how you knew.

    But, as you said: If you knew, Petersen knew. And so did everyone at Penn State ... except their students, fans and compliant media.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know the specifics. I knew that Sandusky was allegedly doing things with little boys from his charity, and that included his time at Penn State. I just heard it through the grapevine, but not long after that it was actually written about by some moral journalists in central PA. But nobody in the Pittsburgh area picked up on it except for Mark Madden who I understand did write about it.

    And don't get me wrong. I didn't expect the journalists to have some kind of expose, but they at least could have reported that there was an investigation taking place, because that was written in a few central PA newspapers, like I said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet PSU gets a big name guy still that will that it will be rough for ayear but too good to pass by. I really do. Kids will get enamored with 110,000 fans recruiting will be fine. it's weird, and I hope that Im wring, but i do think that will happen.

    Jonestown, PA will be running at full steam in 1 year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michigan, Notre Dame, and Nebraska are great programs, too, and all had trouble finding a head coach. And they didn't have all of this crap to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you, Chris. As of right now, PSU doesn't have either a President or an AD. What kind of experienced Head Coach would want to take a job without knowing who their bosses would be? Just based on this alone, PSU will have a hard time finding someone. You add in the entire horrible circumstances, any 'name' coach will demand a very high salary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. May you never sleep with the fishes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you think PSU recruits de-commit and Pitt has a chance to pick up a few?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always thought the hiring of Pasqualoni over Bradley was utterly incomprehensible. What you are saying makes me think this info was circulating among ADs throughout D-1. (Maybe not Maryland, was Larry Johnson offered HC there before Edsall?)

    So, do you think there is any chance Golden or Schiano would take this job? You are right in the abstract that this job is pretty toxic, but D1 coaches, by their nature, have pretty large egos -- there have to be ones out their who think they can raise the Titanic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did James Robinson and Steve Adams sign their LOIs? Not much reporting of the early signing period for Pitt out there right now.
    Also, I agree with you about Robinson. He's a true point guard with more size than Levance.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It only takes one big ego to take the job, but I just don't see it. Maybe a Penn State guy because he wants to help the mending process, but I don't see why an Urban Meyer would want to go there when there will be other options. Ohio State doesn't look so bad now in comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As always Chris, great stuff.
    Thanks again for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You dont see a big name guy going to psu because you are a pitt fan and hate psu.

    If im Bradley, id have my lawsuit on you immediately. How dare you say that about without any proof. None. Zero. Not a smart move. Im forwarding this crap to Bradley himself immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If Pederson knew, why'd he interview him? Surely Bradley didnt say he knew in the interview.

    So why did he get an interview?

    ReplyDelete
  14. He got an interview because he was sick of the Pittsburgh media continually droning on about him. Pederson clearly wanted nothing to do with him.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This recruiting class the best class ever? Better than Brian Shorter-Bobby Martin in '87?

    Taking into consideration the exponentially-better coaching they'll have, I'm assuming they'll be more successful of course.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I guess that I should say that this class POTENTIALLY could be the best ever since I'm thinking that Adams could be a top 3 NBA pick and Robinson could lead Pitt to the Final Four. But, yeah, the class of Shorter, Martin, Miller, Matthews, and Porter was the best class right now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Chris, I a the one that posted above about PSU not suffering hardly at all (getting a good new coach and recruits not being scared off).

    Based on today, I think that even more. Obviously the fan base is as rabid as ever, the house will be packed, the stage is sort of set to start over with a new staff up there, etc.

    Besides the concerns of a new staff coming in, I dont see any recuits backing out bc of this scandal.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yeah, I think you're going to be surprised. This has a long way to go, and it's going to be messy for awhile. They aren't going to find a big name to join this mess. Especially since no way will a new coach ever have much power there now. Too many people will see to that. I don't know what a full house today has to do with anything. Penn State fans are obviously going to keep showing up. As far as recruits, they already lost one and Noah Spence has eliminated them. Once Bradley is gone after the season, they will lose even more future recruits. Eventually Penn State could be strong again but I don't know if it can ever be what it once was.

    ReplyDelete
  19. By the way, I've said this before and I'll say it again. Notre Dame, Michigan, Nebraska, and Tennessee are just four examples of programs just as elite as Penn State who had trouble finding a topnotch coach. If they had trouble, it seems rather naive to think that all Penn State has to do is just ask somebody and they'll say yes. The Penn State brand is tarnished badly and it's going to be VERY hard to recruit there for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can't believe that this site is still up. That one tough guy was forwarding this blog entry to Bradley immediately. Maybe because in addition to (1) it likely being true (2) and Bradley having more on his play, what Chris said wasn't illegal or in voilation of libel law. Go to law school tough guy. The funny thing too about Bradley filing suit, even to be a pain in the butt, would open him up to testifying about whether he did know. It would allow for discovery on this issue with Bradley filing verified responses. Um, don't he wants to go there. But again, what Chris wrote doesn't give rise to liability anyhow. Tough guy. Go back to defending JoePA and the rest of the Jonestown cult.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I didn't even bother to comment on that ridiculousness.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I know many people were upset that Bradley didn't get the Pitt job or Temple or UConn. Of course being a 33 year assistant is a big negative. I wasn't familiar with him before. Watching him being interviewed this week I can see why he wasn't hired by any of those programs. He is probably a good DC but for a 55 year old many he is almost childlike in discussing Paterno. Not the kind of man you want leading your football program.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Some PSU verbals, those that have been interviewed, have already said that they still want to play for PSU and were blown away by the atmosphere at the game and the family feel and the students, etc.

    Like I keep saying, a few may turn away simply because of a new coach and new recruiters, but PSU won't skip a beat.

    ReplyDelete
  24. If that's what gets you through the day.

    ReplyDelete