Thursday, July 26, 2012

Counting down the top Pitt football players of the last 40 years- No.18 Tony Woods


I will be counting down my own list of the top 50 Pitt football players since 1972.  I have spent time doing a lot of research and talking to a lot of people when formulating this list, but ultimately it is MY opinion.  The great thing about lists like this is that people will disagree, and feel free to, but just remember that there is no right answer so there's no need to go crazy if you do disagree.  I will post this same intro with all 50 bios because I know the one time I don't, people will complain about not knowing what criteria I used.  I will add at least one a day, maybe two.  

My criteria for selecting the order is as follows:

1.  Productivity.
2.  Talent.
3.  Place in program history.
4.  Only the player's careers while at Pitt are considered, not their NFL careers. 
5.  No current players.




18.  Tony Woods (1983-86)- This defensive end from New Jersey was one of the most physically impressive players in school history.  As a senior he was 6'4" and 250 pounds, and he ran a 4.66 in the 40. 

It was as a junior that Woods really exploded when he ended the season with 93 tackles, 15 sacks, and 20 tackles for loss.  That season ended with honorable mention All-American recognition. As a senior he ended up with 109 tackles and 13 more sacks.  That season ended in consensus first team All-American honors.  

Despite missing games parts of his freshman and sophomore seasons due to injuries, Woods showed his tremendous all around game with 31 sacks, which is 3rd all-time in school history, and 242 tackles, which 26th now and 12th when his career ended.

Woods encountered controversy when it was discovered after his senior season that he signed with an agent before the season started, but he was still taken by the Seattle Seahawks with the 18th overall pick.  He played 10 seasons for three different teams.  

8 comments:

  1. Tony Woods (and Ducky Lewis) cheated off me in an Organized Crime class (some bs gen ed requirement) when I was a freshman in 1985.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ducky was the original and founding member of the burnt toast patrol because of his amazing db play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dokes,
    What is Pitt/Chryst position regarding contacting PSU current players?
    Is he contacting PSU's 2013 commits?

    OSU and Wisky said they will not contact any current PSU players... but leaves the door open to those that contact them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what they're doing for sure exactly. I doubt anybody does. Getting info out of Pitt is like getting info out of the Gestapo. But I can't imagine they aren't doing something. If they're not then it will be pathetic.

      Delete
    2. USC and Illinois are in State College already... recruiting...

      I would send Bobby Engram up for a week... contacting a select group of players such as DL...

      Frankly.. I think Chryst is taking the Wisky approach...
      he won't contact them... but will wait for the phone to ring.

      Delete
  4. Was that the Organized Crime class with Tony Giunta? I took that class, too. Half the people skipped most classes because it was so easy. Perfect athlete class. That's why I took it. Chess Club '87.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the one!! Maybe the easiest class I had at Pitt. I took it as a once a week night course. To Tony and Ducky's credit they were there more often than not. However, if you had to cheat in that class, I'm not sure how you were getting thru real classes.

      Delete
  5. lol that's the one. It was a night class. We were probably in their together. Awesome class and the easiest A in school. Too funny.

    ReplyDelete