Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Counting down the top Pitt football players of the last 40 years- No.7 Mark May


I will be counting down my own list of the top 50 Pitt football players since 1972.  I have spent time doing a lot of research and talking to a lot of people when formulating this list, but ultimately it is MY opinion.  The great thing about lists like this is that people will disagree, and feel free to, but just remember that there is no right answer so there's no need to go crazy if you do disagree.  I will post this same intro with all 50 bios because I know the one time I don't, people will complain about not knowing what criteria I used.  I will add at least one a day, maybe two.  

My criteria for selecting the order is as follows:

1.  Productivity.
2.  Talent.
3.  Place in program history.
4.  Only the player's careers while at Pitt are considered, not their NFL careers. 
5.  No current players.



7.  Mark May (1977-80)-  Part of the great 1977 incoming class and 1980 graduating class, the native of upstate New York was one of the best offensive lineman to be ever play college football.

May was a hit right off the bat, using his great size and strength.  He lettered as a true freshman and made his first start in the Gator Bowl that season.  The next three seasons he started at right tackle and did not give up a sack in his final two seasons.  As a senior, he became a unanimous first team All-American and Pitt's first, and still only, Outland Trophy winner.  In 2005, he was elected into the College Football Hall of Fame.

Taken by the Washington Redskins with the 20th pick of the first round, May played 12 seasons, mostly with the Redskins, where he also picked up one All-Pro selection and two Super Bowl rings.

Today May is a popular college football analyst for ESPN.

4 comments:

  1. Imma Man! Im 40!July 31, 2012 at 3:37 PM

    You forgot to mention that he's been inducted into College HOF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually had that in my notes but forgot.

      Delete
  2. On a sidenote...
    Pirates now look like they have a solid, young up and coming outfield...
    Now, wish they landed a 1B and SS... Jones is servicable for 1B but not long term... they probably wish they had a do over for SS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Mark, but I would never say "Today May is a popular college football analyst for ESPN." Between Big 10 fans, Ped State fans and ND fans he might be the most hated analyst!

    ReplyDelete