Very impressed, as I expected I would be. This team has the potential to be excellent.
1. Talib Zanna had 20 points on 10 of 12 shooting but I'm not sure I'm ready to call him a major offensive threat. The truth is, they were the easiest 20 points he'll ever seen with easy transitional baskets coming at will. He also added 2 rebounds, 2 steals, and a block.
2. Welcome Steven Adams and James Robinson. Adams had 8 points on 4-5 front he field, with 8 rebounds, 4 blocks, and a steal. What struck me most is that unlike most big men, he never, ever stops moving. And Jamie Dixon didn't exactly take it easy on his freshman playing him for most of the game. Robinson was as steady as can be with 6 points, 4 rebounds, a steal, and just one turnover. Amazingly, though, he did not have one assist.
3. Travon Woodall had a good all around game with 14 points, 6 assists, 3 rebounds, and an assist. He had 3 turnovers but the team had only 8 turnovers, a big improvement over last season.
4. Lamar Patterson had no points or rebounds, and the fact that the Panthers looked so good without him shows just how deep they are.
5. I was very impressed with Trey Zeigler. His defense was excellent and he apparently got the message that that matters at Pitt. On offense he showed that in transition he is as good as gold with 11 points, 2 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals, and a block.
6. J.J. Moore came off the bench with his normal offense. This time it was 9 points. Cameron Wright played despite his father dying and showed great heart by doing so. He looked much improved with 8 points, 3 rebounds, and 2 assists. His defense was exceptional.
7. The Panthers had 10 steals.
8. Only 1 for 6 from three but it wasn't a needed weapon since there was no defense for their transition game.