Another game, another impressive Pitt win. The Panthers improve to 3-0 and unlike what some expected, this wasn't close.
1. Tray Woodall was the leading scorer, the third different leading scorer for the team in the first three games, and all three leaders had over 20 points. Woodall, who in my opinion has been the most consistent Panther this season, had 23 points, including 4-7 from three, while also grabbing 4 rebounds and dishing out 8 assists.
2. Talib Zanna once again had an excellent game, and this time was deadly from 12 feet out. He ended up with 20 points, thanks to 8-9 from the field and 4-5 from the line. He also added 6 rebounds, one block, and one steal.
3. Steven Adams struggled for the first time this season and he seemed to be lost and flailing for most of the first half. He got under control more in the second half and contributed 6 points, 4 rebounds, 2 blocks, and a steal.
4. I don't think the Panthers are missing John Johnson much because Durand Johnson has come to the rescue. The redshirt freshman may not have even seen time this season but now is averaging 8.5 ppg. Tonight he came off the bench with 9 points, 7 rebounds, 2 assists, and a steal.
5. James Robinson also had his first poor game, going 1-8 from the floor and only getting 2 points, 2 rebounds, 2 assists, and a steal. But once again he had no turnovers and now has just one turnover in three games.
6. On the down side, Lamar Patterson continues to have a slow start this season. He had just 3 points and is averaging 2.7 ppg this season.
7. The bench didn't do much in the first half but when was all said and done they contributed 24 points and 22 rebounds. Besides Johnson, J.J. Moore came off the bench with 8 points and 5 rebounds, and Dante Taylor had 4 points and 10 rebounds. In the last two games Taylor is averaging 9.5 rpg.
8. Possible lottery pick C.J. McCollum had 17 points but the Pitt defense clearly held him in check. In fact, McCollum hit two 3 pointers near the end of the game or he would have been even more of a non-factor.
9. Pitt out rebounded Lehigh 38-20.
10. The Panthers only had 6 turnovers. The way they have protected the ball this season has been highly impressive, especially when compared to last season.