Final Score: Syracuse 62 Pittsburgh 59
1. I can't say I'm surprised that Pitt lost and in fact I angered some when I said that I would be surprised if they won more than one game in each of the two tournaments, but it's still very frustrating that many of the team's problems continue to raise their ugly head.
2. Once again the team seemed lost for much of the game and consequently fell behind by 13 points in the first half. Even more troubling is that it's the same three veterans- Tray Woodall, Lamar Patterson, and Talib Zanna- who were the most egregious offenders. Their numbers eventually looked decent, but they got most of their numbers after their lackadaisical play put them in a big hole.
3. Patterson somehow ended up with 14 points and 11 rebounds despite disappearing for long stretches. Woodall ended up with 12 points, including 3-8 from three. Zanna had 10 points and 5 rebounds.
4. The two freshman, Steven Adams and James Robinson, played poorly, especially Adams who ended up with 6 points, 7 rebounds, and a block, but also had 3 turnovers and went 2-7 from the field. Robinson had 10 points, 4 rebounds, and 4 steals, but also had a career high 4 turnovers, including the big one that was the nail in the coffin.
5. The bench had only 7 points with 5 coming from Durand Johnson, but he was erratic shooting 2-6 from the field. The bench shot 3-13 from the field and had just 7 of Pitt's 33 rebounds.
6. Pitt out rebounded Syracuse 33-26.