Yes, that score is correct. The game started out beautifully as the Panthers offense looked to be one of the best in the country. But because of horrible defense and special teams Duke stayed in the game. Some thoughts:
1. Tom Savage threw some beautiful strikes and pretty much had his way until the end when the offensive line started to fail. For the game he was 23 for 33 for 424 yards, 6 touchdowns, and no interceptions.
2. James Conner is officially a beast as he had his second 100 yard game in a row as he ripped off 173 yards on 26 carries. He also added a touchdown.
3. Devin Street and Tyler Boyd are quickly becoming perhaps the best wide receiver tandem in the country. Street had 6 catches for 166 yards (27.7 avg.), and 2 touchdowns. Boyd added 7 catches for 147 yards (21.0 avg.), and 3 touchdowns.
4. Kevin Weatherspoon added 4 catches for 58 yards including a game clincher late.
5. The Panthers had 598 total yards but became conservative and inept in the 4th quarter in which they actually had minus yardage.
6. Defensively the Panthers got four interceptions but also gave up 532 yards, including 213 yards rushing. Duke entered the game No.69 in total offense with 404 yards a game.
Overall, outside of the offense in the first three quarters it was a pretty embarrassing performance for the Panthers. Both the special teams and defense are amongst the worst in the nation over the first third of the season. Something drastic must happen for the program to improve such horrible weaknesses. Change personnel, change coaches, whatever it takes, because there's bad and then there's awful, and awful is what Pitt's special teams and defense are right now.