That had to be one of the worst played 10-point losses in Pitt history. The offensive line was especially horrible and Adam Bisnowaty may find himself out of a starting job very soon. He has regressed and now looks terrible.
1. Tom Savage may still be getting sacked. Yes, he has to know that he has no time, but I'm not sure Michael Vick wouldn't have got sacked 8 times in that game. He has enough mobility to elude one or two guys but not when they come in waves. On the game he completed 13 of 28 passes for 187 yards. He threw for no touchdowns or interceptions but he did show nice running ability on Pitt's loan touchdown.
2. James Conner hurt his shoulder and only got 2 carries for 1 yard. Isaac Bennett was the leading ball carrier as he had 31 yards on 7 carries. Technically, because of the sacks, Pitt ran for 23 yards on 26 carries. Outside of the sacks, Pitt ran for 52 yards.
3. Tyler Boyd was held to 2 catches for 20 yards and carried once for 3 yards. Thanks to two big catches that resulted in all 9 of Pitt's points, Devein Street had 5 catches for 104 yards. Kevin Weatherspoon chipped in 3 catches for 50 yards.
4. Chris Blewitt made a 47-yard field goal, which was obviously great to see.
5. Defensively, it's hard to say that Pitt did well, mostly because Virginia Tech has a rather pedestrian offense. Virginia Tech only had 315 total yards, and the defensive line played especially well. But again, that may be because the Hokie offensive line is not very good right now. But Aaron Donald was again a man possessed and may be one step closer to being an All-American.
6. Pitt falls to 3-2 on the season, and 2-2 in the ACC. Next up is an out of conference game at home against Old Dominion next Saturday night.