The Panthers fall to 4-4 overall and 2-3 in the ACC by falling to Georgia Tech in Atlanta. Some thoughts:
1. Aaron Donald is the best Pitt player since Larry Fitzgerald and he will be Pitt's first consensus first team All-American since Fitzgerald. He had a game for the ages tonight and if he was on a better team people would be talking about him for decades. Unfortunately for him he's on this team.
2. The offensive line was again atrocious. Dorian Johnson started for the injured Adam Bisnowaty and got beat like a drum. The truth is, the skill positions and the defense are good enough to win at against most teams but the line is so bad that the rest of the team can not pick up the slack enough.
3. Tom Savage was okay, especially the few times he had time and could get into any semblance of a rhythm. For the game he completed 25 of 37 passes for 233 yards. He also threw a touchdown pass to Tyler Boyd in which he displayed perfect touch. He also threw an interception late, after the game was decided, when he and Kevin Weatherspoon were not on the same page.
4. Boyd led all receivers with 11 catches for 118 yards. Devin Street was mostly quiet and added 5 catches for 45 yards. The tight ends combined for 7 catches with J.P. Holtz and Manasseh Garner each catching three, and Scott Orndoff catching one. Orndoff's went for 15 yards and he showed how quick he is for his size. He's somebody that they have to find more often.
5. The running game was awful because the offensive line did nothing. Isaac Bennett had 16 yards on 6 carries and James Conner had 8 carries for 3 yards. Because of the sacks, Pitt managed to run for -5 yards on 21 carries.
6. Other than Donald, Todd Thomas also played well, and the defense was at least not horrible. Like they did against Navy they faltered in the last drive again which ended any chance of the Panthers pulling it out in the end.
Bottom line, Georgia Tech is just an okay team but Pitt acted like they were playing a National Championship contender. it was like pulling teeth to sometimes accomplish even the simplest plays. This team isn't good but with three home games left, and some winnable games in the bunch, they amazingly may find themselves in a minor bowl again.