It was an ugly game between two struggling teams but the Panthers got the victory and are now bowl eligible at 6-5. They have one more home game, at home against Miami. Some thoughts:
1. Syracuse has a good run defense and Pitt didn't even try to run today. The running backs ran just 19 times for 56 yards. James Conner led all Panthers but got just 11 carries for 28 yards. Isaac bennett had 7 carries for 26 yards.
2. Once again Tom Savage was under pressure all day, and this was even though Pitt's offense consisted mostly of short, quick passes. On the day he completed 28 of 41 passes but for only 218 yards. He also had a TD pass and an interception and was sacked three times. Savage once again showed good leadership and great toughness, though.
3. Devin Street caught the first two passes of the game but then sat out because of an injury he had prior to the game. Manasseh Garner with 7 catches for 64 yards and a touchdown, JP Holtz with 4 catches for 39 yards, and Jaymar Parrish with 3 catches for 19 yards picked up the slack. Tyler Boyd led the Panthers with 10 catches for 82 yards.
4. Defensively Aaron Donald was his normal freak self and had 9 tackles. His blocked extra point on Syracuse's first touchdown also proved to be the difference in the game. Anthony Gonzalez led all Panthers will 11 tackles while Ray Vinopal had 8 tackles and a sack.
5. Syracuse had 279 total yards to Pitt's 243 yards.