While it didn't look like it was going to be this way at first, Pitt's first game in the ACC will forever go down as a huge success. Some thoughts:
1. The veterans, especially seniors Lamar Patterson and Talib Zanna, did not start well. but they finished great, especially Patterson who is looking more and more like an All-American candidate.
2. Patterson finished with 22 points, including 8-16 from the field, 2-6 from three, and 4-6 from the line. He also added 8 rebounds, 6 assists, and 2 steals.
3. Zanna chipped in with 15 points, 9 rebounds (including 6 offensive), 2 steals, and a block.
4. Mike Young started slowly and was being outplayed by Jamel Artis but he came to life just as the rest of the team did. He had 13 points, including 4-4 from the line. He's now shooting 85.7% from the line this year.
5. Cameron Wright was just 4-12 from the field but chipped in with 9 points and excellent defense in the second half, including 3 steals.
6. James Robinson struggled offensively but was excellent defensively and had two big buckets bear the end of the game. He had 4 points, 2 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals, and no turnovers.
7. Artis and Josh Newkirk kept Pitt in the game early before the veterans took over. Artis had 6 points and a rebound in 17 minutes while Newkirk had 5 points, a rebound, and an assist in 14 minutes.
8. The Panthers hot horribly at the beginning of the game but through transition offense in the second half they eventually shot 48.1% from the field.
9. The Panthers played great defense in the second half and for the game NC State shot only 39.3% from the field.
10. The Panthers were out rebounded 35-29 in the game.