The Panthers were sloppy, and it clearly wasn't their best game of the season, but any time you win on the road, in conference, in front of over 17,000 fans, then it's a success. Some other thoughts:
1. Lamar Patterson is an excellent player. I don't know how many other ways I can say it, but you have to think that if Pitt finishes in the top 10 this year that he has to be a legitimate national player of the year candidate. Tonight he started slow and still ended up with 28 points on 8-14 shooting from the field and 12-14 on the free throw line. He also added 7 rebounds, 7 assists, and 3 steals. Incredible.
2. Talib Zanna also continues to play well with 16 points and 8 rebounds. His FT shooting at the end of the game was once a gain a problem and he ended going 8-14 from the line.
3. James Robinson is somebody who lets his emotions get the best of him and he did it again tonight. He finished with 13 points, but he also had just 2 assists to his 2 turnovers, and he fouled out of the game. But after he did foul out you could see just how much the panthers need him out there.
4. Cameron Wright was also a little sporadic, but that's what's been expected of him all year. Sometimes he looks great, and sometimes he's a little sloppy. He finished with 12 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists, and a steal, but he also was 4-9 from the line, and had 4 turnovers and 4 steals.
5. Michael Young once again played poorly. He attempted just one shot and had 2 points. He did have 5 rebounds and a steal at least.
6. As he's been doing from time to time, Jamel Artis picked up some of the production at power forward. He had 8 points and 7 rebounds, all in the first half. He was also 4-4 from the FT line.
7. Pitt shot a healthy 51% from the field, but they also let Maryland shoot 48.1% from the field.
8. Pitt started shooting great from the FT line but then it went downhill- fast. For the night they attempted an incredible 47 free throws but only made 32, for an average of 68.1%. Zanna and Wright missed 11 FTs between them.
9. Pitt made just ONE of seven three pointers.
10. The Panthers out rebounded the Terps 49-32.