There's no such thing as a good loss, but Pitt showed they can play with what is generally considered one of the two best teams in the country. Some thoughts:
1. Lamar Patterson struggled in the first half and then, holy moly. Raining down threes like hellfire, Patterson ended up with 18 pounds, including 4-9 from three. And three of those threes came in succession just when it looked like Pitt was going to get blown out.
2. Talib Zanna had another double double, this time going for 12 points and 11 rebounds.
3. Cameron Wright showed great bounce and hustle for the entire game but he also was a little out of control at times. He had a team high 3 turnovers. But he did add 9 points and 6 rebounds.
4. James Robinson started fast but then slowed down. Eventually he was outplayed by Tyler Ennis. For the game he had 6 points, 3 rebounds, 4 assists, a steal, and just one turnover.
5. Mike Young continues to struggle offensively in the paint. He's a physically strong player but he's lacking in confidence so much that he's playing weak. He had 6 points, 5 rebounds, and 2 turnovers.
6. The Pitt bench was weak with just 1 point on 1-6 shooting.
7. Pitt shot just 38.3% from the field and uncharacteristically 13-24 from the FT line. Syracuse shot 51.2% from the field.
8. Pitt out rebounded the Orange 35-24.