Well, that didn't go well. After it looked like Pitt had things in hand, they let it get away. Some thoughts:
1. The biggest thought I have is that, like I said in my season preview, Pitt has the talent of a 7-5 team. And the weaknesses that make them just a barely above average team is the reason why they lost the game. Those weaknesses are the ability for Chad Voytik to win a game when needed, no playmakers on defense, no pass rush, and a poor secondary. Pitt may very well do better than 7-5, and I predicted 8-4, but that's mostly because of a schedule devoid of excellent teams. The truth is, quarterback and defense is a weakness, and I don't see it getting better anytime soon.
2. James Conner was great again, but Iowa is good enough that when they knew Pitt was going to run him in the second half, they could slow him up some. He did run for 155 yards on 29 carries, and a TD. But only 55 yards of that came in the second half. And only on 12 carries.
3. Statistically, Voytik did a letter better than usual but when your best game is 19-29, 250 yards, no TDs, and an interception, it's a problem. He may get better but if he doesn't he's going to lose his job to Adam Bertke next season.
4. Somehow Tyler Boyd with 10 catches for 153 yards. I say somehow because he's pretty much the only player Voytik throws to, so it's amazing he can even get open.
5. Once again the tight ends aren't involved at all, and despite his nice fourth quarter grab, Manasseh Garner has proven to me that he's pretty mediocre.
6. Iowa came in with the reputation of having one great offensive tackle but a struggling line as a whole. But when it came down to it, they stopped Pitt's pass rush cold and ran down their throats when the game was on the line. They had such little regard for Pitt that they continually went for it on fourth and one.
7. The secondary is below average. Lafayette Pitts gets most of the heat, but none of them are above average.
8. At least Pitt has a good kicker and punter.
9. Total yards: Pitt 435, Iowa 311. But when it came down to crunch time Iowa crunched the Panthers.