And you thought a 17-point win couldn't be embarrassing. Wrong!!! Some thoughts of this ugliness.
1. At least it's a win, FIU is maybe the worst major college program in the country so I wouldn't be too happy about this. And I don't agree with people that say Pitt would have lost games like this in the past. This FIU team lost to Bethune-Cookman, a FCS school, and they are at that level. This may be the worst program Pitt has played in decades. There was a reason there were about a thousand fans there.
2. I was hoping James Conner could get a rest in this game but Pitt's awful start (and middle, and end) prevented that. He chugged out a harder than expected 177 yards on 30 carries. He also had 3 touchdowns. He also had two fumbles, tough, and that continues to be a problem for him.
3. Chad Voytik still isn't lighting up the airways as he went 9-17 for 84 yards, and a TD. He also had an interception. He's going to have to get much better in his passing if Pitt is going to beat real times. They are not going to be able to run over everybody. Voytik did run over everybody though as he ran for 113 yards on 12 carries. He also ran for a touchdown.
4. Tyler Boyd had just 4 catches for 50 yards, including a nice TD grab.
5. The defense was not good, giving up way too much to such an awful team. Nobody really stood out for the good, and the cornerbacks again looked suspect. They did have four sacks but for most of the game there wasn't much pressure.
6. Paul Chryst replaced Voytik with Trey Anderson early in the 4th quarter with Pitt up by just 7 points. This is what's known in the business as stupid. Anderson fumbled the snap on second down then got sacked form behind on 3rd down. I have no idea why he did that. If Voytik had to come out for some reasonable reason than I will take it back, but they didn't work on him and he came back on the next drive.
7. The pass protection is still not good.
8. Pitt had more yards, 418-300. The Panthers ran for 320 yards, but passed for just 98. FIU had 62 yards rushing, on 1.9 yards a carry, but had 238 yards passing. Giving that much up to most teams would be good, but this is FIU we're talking about.