It's no longer too early to talk about underclassmen since so many now commit early. With recruiting more aggressive than ever, schools around the country now try to wrap up kids before their junior season is over. And I wouldn't be surprised if half this list commits in that timeframe.
1. Miles Sanders, Woodland Hills HS (Pittsburgh) RB- There haven't been a lot of big time running backs coming out of the WPIAL over the past decade or so, but Sanders is the real deal. A solid 5'10" and 195 pounds with great vision, speed, quickness, and pass catching ability. In other words, he's the complete package. Already committed to PENN STATE over a group of offers that included Pittsburgh, Michigan, Michigan State, Nebraska, and Virginia Tech. If he didn't already commit before his junior season started, he would have had a lot more major offers.
2. Michal Menet, Exeter Township HS (Reading) OT- First of all, his first name is not a typo, that's how he spells it. Secondly, what a good young lineman. It's rare for a sophomore in high school to get major offers because they generally take a lot longer to develop, but Menet is a special player. He's only 6'5" 250 now so obviously he'll need to put on about 50 pounds over the next two years. But everything else is there from the strong frame and quick feet, to the toughness and technique. He's from Penn State country so you have to assume they're the leader, but other early offers have come from Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Florida State, South Carolina, and Tennessee.
3. Naseir Upshur, Imhotep Institute Charter HS (Philadelphia) TE- A few months ago I thought I found a sleeper. Now he's one of the most offered sophomores in the country. He's a solidly built 6'3" and 235 pounds already, and he has all the tools to be a top tight end, especially his vicious blocking skills, a rarity for such a young tight end. As an added bonus, if he doesn't work out at tight end, he could be an excellent defensive end. Many major offers include Pittsburgh, Penn State, West Virginia, Florida State, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, Auburn, Tennessee, and Virginia Tech.
4. Brandon McIlwain, Council Rock North HS (Newtown) QB- You know it's a loaded year when this kid is No. 4 in the state. Not big at 6'0" 205, and he has to work on his passing skills, but he's an off the charts athlete with a cannon for an arm and blazing speed. His many offers include Pittsburgh, Penn State, West Virginia, Ohio State, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Florida, Auburn, South Carolina, Virginia Tech, Clemson, Miami, Tennessee, North Carolina, and UCLA.
5. Aaron Matthews, Clairton Area HS (Clairton) WR- Kids from this Class A powerhouse get under recruited and those that missed the boat on former teammate Tyler Boyd may miss this boat on this special player, too. At 6'5" and 190 pounds, he's already a great target. The fact that he will only get bigger and has great speed, athleticism, jumping ability, and hands makes him even more exciting. His two big offers right now are Pittsburgh and West Virginia with the rest of the country asleep at the wheel.
6. Damar Hamlin, Central Catholic HS (Pittsburgh) CB/S- Great length if he sticks at corner at 6'1" and 180 pounds. Has good speed and cover ability but may be better off at safety over time. Either way he has the ability to be a big time player. Early offers so far include Pittsburgh, Penn State, and Ohio State.
7. Cary Angeline, Downingtown East HS (Exeter) TE- Basically a tall (very tall) wide receiver right now at 6'7" and 235 pounds. He has no inline blocking skills to speak of so that's something he will need to develop, but as a pass catcher he looks enormous with his long wingspan. He also is a good athlete that runs well, and has excellent hands. Pitt curiously hasn't offered him, but many others have including Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan State, Iowa, Miami, Northwestern Virginia, and North Carolina.
8. Kaezon Pugh, Aliquippa HS (Aliquippa) RB/LB- Maybe the most intriguing player in the class because is he a running back, a linebacker, or could he end up on the defensive line eventually? Right now he's 6'2" and 205 pounds, but his physique looks like he could get bigger. Already a bull and a superb athlete, he's pure raw talent right now. Will he explode into greatness? That's the question. Many Quips do. Right now Pittsburgh and West Virginia are his offers.
9. Khaleke Hudson, McKeesport Area HS (McKeesport) S/LB- Part safety, part linebacker, all football player. A solid 6'0" 205 pounds now, and how big he gets will likely determine where he plays. Either way he is one of the hardest hitters in the state and he has very good athleticism as well. Bottom line, he's a really good player and one of my favorites. Biggest early offers thus far are Pittsburgh and West Virginia.
10. Anthony Long, Bishop McDevitt HS (Harrisburg) DT- Big 6'3" 295 pound defensive lineman that can move like this kid are highly coveted. That's why his early offer list includes Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Maryland, and Georgia Tech.