Another ugly performance at times for Pitt, but luckily for them Virginia Tech was flat out atrocious on offense.
1. I'm not sure if this really proves anything in the wrong run. Pitt won but the same questions are still there. Chad Voytik still is not passing well and the defense still hasn't proven anything because they play one bad offense after another.
2. On the other hand, Pitt wisely tailored the offensive game plan to Voytik's strengths, which basically means they had him run instead of pass. And run he did. I will say this much about Voytik. The man can run extremely well for a quarterback. He led the Panthers in rushing in the game with 118 yards rushing on 19 carries. But like I said, his passing is still below average. On the night he completed 10 of 17 passes for 92 yards. He also had a TD and an interception. Oh, and he even caught a pass from Tyler Boyd for a 29-yard gain.
3. For some strange reason, James Conner was not asked to run much and in fact he ran only 6 times in the second half. For the game, Conner had 85 yards on 16 carries (5.2 avg.), and 2 touchdowns. He also continued the habit of running like a man possessed when he smells the end zone.
4. Boyd continued his excellent play with 6 catches for 86 yards, including a beautiful 53-yrd touchdown. But he had no catches in the second half.
5. Defensively, the Panthers were led by Ray Vinopal, Anthony Gonzalez, and David Durham. The defense played well for the most part but the Hokies' offense is so putrid that it's hard to say how well the Panthers defense really did.
6. Truthfully, the game shouldn't have been as close ass it was. A lot of dumb penalties and turnovers hurt Pitt. They simply aren't good enough to make too many mistakes and win most of the time. They were very lucky that Virginia Tech was so awful.
7. Pitt ran for 210 yards. Virginia Tech ran for 26 yards.
8. At the end of the day, what does it all mean? Pitt didn't play that well but they won. The coaches made some strange decisions and questionable play calls. But with a struggling team, this is at least a win. And there were many top recruits visiting so it's better to win an ugly game in front of a half-packed house than to lose an ugly game on front of a half-packed house.