Another week, another bad loss. The loss itself was not unexpected, but the play was sometimes pretty bad and the team does not seem to be progressing at all. Other thoughts:
1. Chad Voytik is no worse at his position than most of the starters but when he's your quarterback he's going to really hurt your team. He's not awful, but despite Pitt's other many flaws, I think Pitt is 6-0 with an all-star caliber quarterback. It would be a weak 6-0 team, but 6-0 nonetheless.
2. James Conner started strong, but with no consistent downfield threat he got bottled up as the game progressed.
3. I feel bad for Tyler Boyd. He's an amazing talent but he doesn't get to show it much anymore. He did have an excellent catch and an even better punt return, but the ineffectiveness from the rest of the team is hiring his production.
4. Finally the tight ends got some throws and not surprisingly both JP Holtz and Scott Orndoff did well.
5. The offensive line, like much of the team, seems to be regressing, and TJ Clemmings was a horror show. Alex Officer cost Pitt one TD because he couldn't even snap the ball properly.
6. The defensive line gets blown off the line continually and contributes no pass rush at all. Middle linebacker Matt Galambos has also done nothing and was actually replaced by Bam Bradley. Hopefully Bradley remains the starter.
7. Ray Vinopal was the only player on defense that stood out at all, but there's only so much a safety on a bad defense can do.
Bottom line, this team will be lucky to be 6-6 this season. You can only use the excuse of being young so much. Most of the players that play are not freshmen so it's not like there are a ton of freshman actually playing. This team is mediocre at best if they were coached well, and I'm not seeing them being coached well. In the second half it was almost as if some of the players took it upon themselves to play well, despite the coaching. I can honestly say I'm not excited for the future of the Paul Chryst era. But, hey, I've been surprised before and Chryst isn't going anywhere soon, so I suggest you suck it up and hope for the best.