Good performance by Pitt tonight and I much needed win. The Panthers were favored by 8.5 and won by 14.
1. The most impressive layer was clearly James Robinson, who has been a whipping boy for many, so it was good to see him come up big. On the night he had a career high 23 points, while also adding 5 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 steals, and a block. Very impressive.
2. Robinson is averaging 12.7 ppg this season. As a freshman he averaged 6.1 ppg and as a sophomore he averaged 7.6 ppg.
3. Josh Newkirk was also very good and added 16 points, including 3-4 from three. He also added 4 rebounds and 5 assists.
4. Another player who has had a lot of criticism, Joseph Uchebo, came up with his best performance of his career with 12 points and 9 rebounds.
5. Chris Jones had another good game with 12 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists, a steal, and a block. He's now averaging 9.8 ppg for the season.
6. In the last two games Newkirk is averaging 16 ppg and Jones is averaging 15 ppg.
7. Mike Young had just one point and went 0-3 from the field, but he also had 7 rebounds, 2 blocks, and a steal.
8. Jamel Artis had a dry spell but he's been more productive lately,. He was both good and bad in this game (sometimes on the same play), but he did come up with 9 points, 10 rebounds, and 4 assists. In the last three games he's averaging 8.7 ppg and 7.3 rpg.
9. Pitt held Duquesne to 37.1% from the field.
10. The Panthers out rebounded the Dukes 45-37.