1. Jim Chaney was much too conservative and if the Panthers don't have a quarterback that can complete passes 10 yards down the field on at least a semi-consistent basis then they are in big trouble.
2. Speaking of which, Chad Voytik was mostly bad, and after looking good in his first series, Nathan Peterman promptly threw an interception. He never returned
3. James Conner looked great but an injured knee in the second quarter cost him the rest of the game. Chris James got the first chance to replace him but eventually Quadree Ollison came in and was a one man wrecking crew. He was the unquestionable MVP of the game.
4. The defense was hit or miss, though much more miss in the second half. Nicholas Grigsby, Avonte Maddox, and Tyrique Jarrett looked the best but there's still a lot of dead weight that is seeing time. I'm still confused as to why Matt Galambos even sees the field and Lafayette Pitts still is not very good.
5. The Panthers had six sacks and until the last long TD run they were giving up just 2.3 yards a rush. The offense continually put the Panthers in bad position, and initially the defense came up big. However, late in the game, the defense fell apart. There just isn't enough good players on defense it seems.
Bottom line, it's a win, even though it was an ugly one. And it was done without the two superstars for the most part. The defense will get better, and the pass game, with the return of Boyd, will get better. But it's clear that this team will go only as far as the passing game and defense improves.